From: Brad Johnson
Date: 18 September 2012
San Dimas, CA
Dear future champion gamer,
You and I know this…
Guild Wars 2 is a frikkin' competitive game!
If you don't have a clue what's going on, you will be wasting a
lot of time and money in the game!
lot of time and money in the game!
If you were around during the Guild Wars 1 era, you will know for
sure that teams that dominated the high levels had the best
equipment, the best knowledge of all professions, the best team and
the best everything.
sure that teams that dominated the high levels had the best
equipment, the best knowledge of all professions, the best team and
the best everything.
As you are reading this letter, you will probably feel that in
order to dominate Guild Wars 2, painful sacrifices must be made…
(really?)
order to dominate Guild Wars 2, painful sacrifices must be made…
(really?)
You think you might anticipate a non-existent social life.
You might have to take less subjects in a semester.
You might even be forced to make a choice – boyfriend/girlfriend,
or grinding months away in front of the PC just to get on top.
or grinding months away in front of the PC just to get on top.
It’s almost like you’re selling your soul to Guild Wars 2
itself!
itself!
You may even wonder if 6-10 hours a day is worth the price you
have to pay to get on top.
have to pay to get on top.
If you feel that this is something you must do then listen
carefully because...
carefully because...
Believe me… grinding mobs endlessly in Guild Wars 2 is like
cutting down a huge oak tree with a blunt axe.
cutting down a huge oak tree with a blunt axe.
I’ve been there and done that and it’s not worth the ‘sacrifice’.
What if I were to tell you that you can still lead a normal life
while having the best gear, more gold and gems that you can ever
spend and a thoroughly optimized character that you can take on
anything the world of Tyria can throw at you by yourself?
while having the best gear, more gold and gems that you can ever
spend and a thoroughly optimized character that you can take on
anything the world of Tyria can throw at you by yourself?
Take a deep, deep breath.
My story will change the way you see Guild Wars 2 forever...
I was just a common noob during the GW1 days. Purchasing every
expansion but never finishing a campaign. From Prophecies all the
way to Eye of the North...
expansion but never finishing a campaign. From Prophecies all the
way to Eye of the North...
I’d never even been able to get an Elite Mission to work out as
there were just so many hurdles to handle with getting the correct
team builds and coordinating with the team members.
there were just so many hurdles to handle with getting the correct
team builds and coordinating with the team members.
Even as a noob, we’d tried hard setting up battle plans and
strategies to ensure as smooth a run as possible but things just
never worked out.
strategies to ensure as smooth a run as possible but things just
never worked out.
Attempting to participate in ladder matches to rank ourselves in
the Guild versus Guild was nigh impossible no matter what we’d
tried.
the Guild versus Guild was nigh impossible no matter what we’d
tried.
After months and months of grinding, sleepless night, eye bags
and skipping meals, nothing seemed to matter. All the effort I’d put
in amounted to nothing.
and skipping meals, nothing seemed to matter. All the effort I’d put
in amounted to nothing.
Man, that sucked big time…
My heart was figuratively broken due to the disappointment.
I almost wanted to quit playing Guild Wars for good.
But I’ve matured from that day because I knew that whatever I was
doing could be considered insane. Attempting the same problems with
the same solutions and getting the same results.
doing could be considered insane. Attempting the same problems with
the same solutions and getting the same results.
What can I say? I’d never really gotten much experience and could
never afford to play my favorite game full time as I’d had to study
and work at the time...
never afford to play my favorite game full time as I’d had to study
and work at the time...
So I started consulting the experts and seeing things a
different way.
different way.
It was a lack of knowledge and therefore I set myself out on a
quest to find out what’s missing.
quest to find out what’s missing.
Now in Guild Wars 2, I’ve learned from the foolishness of my past
self and here’s what I’ve accomplished for myself:
self and here’s what I’ve accomplished for myself:
What can I say? Guild Wars 2 is only fun when you are winning,
right?
right?
It’s a good feeling and I really want you to feel what I feel.
That’s the whole purpose of you reading this letter.
That’s the whole purpose of you reading this letter.
Are you ready to...